Friday, December 15, 2023

Introduction to Daily Bible Reading

Explanation and links to various plans used. 

Depending on how long you have read the Bible, I suggest you consider some thoughts before choosing what and how much to read this year.
  • First, if you are not a Christian or a recent convert, I would suggest reading the plan based on the E100 which is the overall story of God that highlights 100 key verse sections of the Bible. I'm working on this for 2021. I will do this with a group of seniors and take a year. Many people would do this in 100 days.
  • Second, if this is your first time I would suggest reading the New Testament and starting with the life of Christ as the gospel writers give us perspective. I suggest you read it in an easier-to-read translation too.
  • Thirdly, if you are a more mature disciple, I challenge you to read the entire Bible annually (OT and NT). Each year consider reading it in a different translation.
  • Fourthly, you can read the Bible in the order it was written or you can read it in more of a chronological order (order of historic context). This has always made more sense to me.
  • Fifthly, I like to use a Bible app on my phone which makes it easier to stay on schedule.
  • Finally, I'm putting together a daily suggestion among the plans. In 2020 I'm going to be reading the Bible from my own schedule of the 5-day reading plan. It will be 3 "tracks" as explained below.

2 Plans based on reading 5 days of the week. 

  • First, I'm personally making my arrangement this year. My friend Mark Coleman suggested in 2019 supplementary resources as we read through the Bible as a congregation. Therefore I have put together resources to help.
  • Second, the Church where I worship and grow as a disciple is using the 2nd plan below.


My Reading Plan for 2020 (Kevin Rayner)
This one I'm developing as I go through this year. The area I will concentrate on the most in 2020 is in TRACK #3 primarily on the book of Acts. Last year in 2019, my focus was on TRACK #2 on the life of Christ. Next year in 2021 I will develop TRACK #1 on the Old Testament much more. All 3 tracks are based on 5 days as well. I suggest a little bit more diversity and adding links to some of my blogs where I will have other resources for more in-depth study. Since I'm just beginning this written plan in 2020, I'm going to update it next year.
In the Old Testament, we have preparation for Christ; in the Gospels, the presentation of Christ; and in the Acts through Revelation, the appropriation of Christ.
Each day will include:

  • TRACK #1 - "Old Testament" passage to read. (It is important to understand the "old" covenant). If you choose to only read this one (with Psalms / Proverbs) you would go through the first covenant in one year. This year the Psalm or Proverb to read will be included chronologically as much as possible. (Psalms have great devotional thoughts and Proverbs are the daily wisdom we need)
  • TRACK #2 - "Life of Christ" (4 gospels) is divided into chronological order sections. If you choose to read only this one along with the notes that are linked, it would be a good in-depth study of the messiah the old covenant pointed toward. (We are called to be daily disciples of Jesus).
  • TRACK #3 - "New Testament" passages are read in the most likely chronological order with letters mixed with the book of Acts. If you choose to read only this one, you will learn more about how God's people carried out the mission of the Savior. (This is the current covenant agreement by which Christians live.)
  • When this link is available, it is for other resources I have on my other blogs. These are resources from my files to stimulate your thoughts to greater levels of spiritual maturity.
======================
The Edmond Church of Christ is using the...
Five-Day Bible Reading

  • Read the entire Bible or just the New Testament in 2020!
  • A chronological reading plan helps the Bible make sense!

This special Bible reading system allows you to read the entire Bible (or just the New Testament) in one year while only reading five times a week.  Five readings a week gives room to catch up or take a day off to focus on other Bible readings or spiritual disciplines and makes daily Bible reading practical and doable.  Many people have successfully reached their goal of regular Bible reading using this schedule.  Further, reading the Old Testament in chronological order (even the Psalms have been placed chronologically when possible) aids understanding of the Bible story, and helps the reader to look forward to reading God's Word.  The New Testament readings space the Gospels out throughout the year to keep the reader constantly coming back to the life and teachings of Jesus.

Always do the reading in the order it appears on the Schedule.  For example, if a reading from Chronicles appears before Kings, read from Chronicles first. Check off each day's reading and then check off each week in the Weekly Progress Register.  You will be amazed at how soon you are deep into the year and still reading your Bible regularly!  God's blessings rest with those who will read, understand, and live by His Word. May this guide help you to that noble end. “Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path” (Psalms 119:105).


In previous years I have enjoyed reading:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Only messages that fulfill the purpose of this blog are allowed.

2024 Chronological Plan - Entire Bible in One Year

Chronological Plan The Entire Bible in One Year The entire Bible in a year , chronologically , in one year. The reading calls for three days...